What is Sinus Lift?
Our teeth are held together by the bones of our upper and lower jaw. The jawbones play a crucial role in helping us bite and chew various kinds of food. They also maintain the proper facial structure. Bone loss in the jaws is one of the very common oral issues. It happens for a wide range of reasons. The reasons can range from gum diseases to tumors and cysts in the jaws.
Therefore, it is essential to provide an adequate amount of stimulation to the jawbones. Numerous people have lost a tooth in the upper or lower jaw which has resulted in bone loss. In these current times, any kind of dental issue can be solved like advanced orthodontic treatments like Sinus Lifts.
But what is Sinus Lift? Sinus Lift can be defined as a dental procedure that is performed by dentists or orthodontists to improve the bone mass in the upper jaw of the patient. Now let us take a look at who are the possible candidates for this procedure.
Who Is An Ideal Candidate for This Treatment?
If you are ever told by your dentist that you do not qualify for dental implants because of bone loss in the upper jaw, you can be a potential candidate for a sinus lift. Due to the position of our sinus cavity, it is very challenging for orthodontal surgeons to place dental implants in the rear end of our upper jaw. In addition, having these issues can also make you ideal for a sinus lift:
- Having engorged sinuses.
- Suffering severe facial injury or trauma.
- Having an advanced stage of gum disease.
- Tooth loss by accident.
- Undergoing tooth extraction procedure on the upper jaw several times.
The Advantages of Sinus Lift
There is no doubt about the importance of a sinus lift treatment and why it is required for some patients. Now let us get to know about the various advantages of the Sinus Lift treatment:
- Lessens The Risk of Serious Damage In The Sinuses: If the wall of the maxillary sinus is too close to the upper section of the mouth or too thin, then inserting dental implants may cause severe damage to it. This issue can easily be solved by getting a sinus lift treatment.
- Repairs Damage from Tooth Loss and Gum Disease: Sinus lift can make the jawbones stronger by adding more mass to it. In some of these sinus lift procedures, a natural or synthetic bone graft is used to replace the missing bone material.
- It Makes Getting Dental Implants Possible: Sinus lifts opens a wide range of possibilities for patients suffering from bone loss in the jaws. It helps them to qualify for treatments like dental implants.
Finally, we hope that our blog has helped you in knowing about sinus lift treatment and its advantages. If you need advanced dental services in Winchester, VA, then please visit our Winchester dentist at Smiles of Virginia Family Dental Center. We use advanced technology to treat a wide range of dental problems.