Visiting a dentist regularly is a must if you want to have a perfect smile. But, a major percentage of people put their oral health in jeopardy by skipping dental appointments. Studies say that almost 3-16% of the American population suffer from the fear of visiting a dental office. This can be bad for your oral health and ultimately cause serious dental problems in the days to come. Dental anxiety is considered to be a prominent reason for such an issue. Here at Smiles of Virginia, we have always tried to educate people about the ways of encountering challenges regarding oral health along with providing quality dental treatment. Keeping this in mind, the best dentists in Winchester have come up with a blog that will discuss effective tips to combat dental anxiety.
Dental anxiety or dental phobia can be caused due to numerous reasons. You can go through the probable causes in the pointers below:
- The fear of pushing the boundaries of your comfort zone
- The fear of going through pain and discomfort
- The inhibition about getting judged on the basis of your oral hygiene routine
- If you have a bad previous experience of visiting a dental office
- If you have heard about the terrible experience of visiting a dental office from an acquaintance or a friend
- If you have gone through physical or mental abuse at a young age
In case you have dental anxiety as a well, it is recommended to get the problem addressed as early as possible. Ignoring dental anxiety or dental phobia for a long time can have a negative impact on your overall mental health.
How to Deal with Dental Anxiety?
No matter how difficult the situation is, it can be handled by adopting a few measures or hacks. We have provided the 5 tips to get rid of dental anxiety for your benefit.
- Do not hesitate to talk – Not holding your thoughts just to yourself can be an effective way of combating dental anxiety. You can choose to talk to a friend or your dentist. Having an in-person discussion with another person will help you to get a different perspective about the entire situation.
- Look for a dentist who listens to you – You are advised to look for a dentist who will provide you with the scope to talk. Ask questions about the dental treatment and also do not hesitate to express your opinions. There are several dentists who are very well-behaved and polite, you just need to find one nearby. Contact Smiles of Virginia if you are looking for friendly and the best dentists in Winchester.
- Conduct thorough research – Make sure to research a bit online before booking your appointment. You should select a dental office that entertains dental phobics. Ask for recommendations from friends and family.
- Listen to music – People often feel uncomfortable while listening to the sounds that are common at a dental office i.e the noise of drilling. You can avoid hearing these noises by listening to your favorite soundtracks while waiting for the appointment.
- Do not reach very early – You should never reach the dental office with a lot of time in hand. The more you wait for the appointment, the higher is the chance of you feeling anxious.
We hope that you now know the ways to combat dental anxiety. Incorporate these tips in your daily life and notice the difference they create.
Negative Outcomes of Dental Anxiety
Suffering from dental anxiety can be the reason for numerous other dental problems. They are:
- Facing the issue of bad breath or halitosis
- Having dental cavities or tooth decay
- Suffering from gum problem or periodontal disease
- Stains on the teeth or tooth discoloration
- Formation of plaque on your teeth and gum line that later hardens into tartar
- Bacterial infection in teeth and gums
- Having a persistent bad taste in the mouth
In case you have any further queries related to dental anxiety and its outcomes, schedule your visit at our dental office. We are the favorite dental office in the Winchester neighborhood for a reason. Our team of dentists and other professionals guides the patients towards the correct path and offers a friendly environment. So why wait anymore? Give us a call today!
Everyone wants to have a perfect and attractive smile. But, most people fail to realize that a lot goes behind having a shiny Hollywood smile. One such key factor in maintaining a proper oral hygiene routine. Dental care should begin at a very early age and continue till the last day of your life. Busy schedules and strict deadlines have made it almost impossible for people these days to invest both time and effort in oral care. Ignoring gums and teeth for a considerable span of time can be a reason for a nightmare in the future. Are you one such person who doesn’t go for regular dental checkups or does not brush at least twice a day? If yes then now is the time to act.
The answer to the question mentioned in the title of this blog is “YES”. Oral hygiene can be the key to a perfect smile. Keeping this in mind, the best Winchester dentists have come up with effective tips to maintain proper oral hygiene.
Tips to Maintain Your Oral Hygiene
Dental problems can easily be prevented by adopting a few preventive measures. We have provided the effective tips to maintain oral hygiene in the pointers below:
- Brush regularly – You should not go to sleep before brushing your teeth. Brushing helps to get rid of the food particles stuck on the teeth and gums. Ignoring this step leads to the deposition of the remnant food particles and ultimately causes plaque buildup. Now, the plaque is basically a film-like substance that consists of harmful bacteria. It can harden into tartar with time. Brushing reduces the chances of plaque formation and as result helps to prevent dental problems i.e teeth decay, gum disease, etc. You should know the correct way to brush for great results. Firstly, buy a toothbrush that has soft bristles. Using hard bristles to brush your teeth can do serious damage to the enamel layer of your teeth and initiate tooth decay. Also, be very gentle while moving the toothbrush along your gum line and teeth. In case you suffer from the problem of tooth sensitivity, do get a toothpaste that is specifically made for sensitive teeth. Dentists advise brushing at least twice a day. Maintain a time gap of 30 minutes to 1 hour between having a meal and brushing.
- Do floss daily – You should never skip flossing. A piece of floss is a thread that can clean the areas in between your teeth and gums that cannot be reached by the toothbrush. So, flossing can be an effective way to get rid of plaque as well. You should floss regularly and make sure to do it before brushing your teeth.
- Use a mouthwash – Rinsing your mouth with an antibacterial mouthwash can be an effective way of fighting against bacteria. There are different types of mouthwashes available in today’s time. You should buy the one that suits your oral requirements. If you get confused about which mouthwash to get, consult your dentist.
- You should eat healthily – You should avoid sugary and sticky food items in order to have healthy teeth. Are you wondering why? Well, the human mouth consists of harmful bacteria that thrive in the presence of sugar particles causing dental problems. On the other hand, try to include more fruits and vegetables in your daily diet.
- Drink water – Drinking an adequate amount of water is necessary to maintain a proper oral hygiene routine. Less intake of water causes dehydration which affects the production of saliva in your mouth. The primary functions of saliva are to wash away the food particles stuck to your gums and teeth and also fight against the bacteria. So, less saliva creates an ideal environment for the growth of bacteria in your mouth.
We hope that going through this blog gave you a better understanding of how to maintain your oral hygiene. Lastly, do visit your dentist for routine dental care, Contact Smiles of Virginia if you are looking for the best dental routine care in Winchester, VA. Our dentists and other dental professionals put in every effort to take proper care of your oral health. Schedule your visit today by giving us a call at (540) 450-2100.
Dentists render you Dental fillings to fill your cavities and recover your decayed teeth. Fillings are sturdy that let your teeth to chew and grind, just like natural teeth. But, these fillings can also come loose at times.
How does a filling get damaged?
- Tooth decay for poor dental practices
- A face trauma
- Teeth grinding or clenching
- Allergic reaction to filling material
- Chewing or biting crunchy or hard food products
How to deal with a Broken/Loose Filling?
- Ease the sensitivity – Movement of the filling makes the site to turn sore, sensitive or irritated. When you wash your mouth with a warm salt solution, it can render you little relief. You can even put clove oil or apply an ice pack to numb your tooth.
- Do not panic –Don’t panic whenever you face any oral troubles. Normally, fillings can be reapplied immediately. But do not wait too long to reach out to your dentist.
- Keep your mouth clean –When you have loose filling, the tooth cavity gets revealed. Therefore, it is highly crucial to keep your mouth clean. Also, avoid chewing from the same side of the mouth. Brush properly and wash your mouth after all your meals. Also gargle with antiseptic mouthwash.
- Call the dentist –If you find any signals of a loose filling, you should instantly call your dentist. Keep the filling with you so your dentist can decide whether it can be reused or be replaced.
The dentist studies the site around the tooth and cavity fillings. This ensures that there has been no growth of bacteria and the infection hasn’t extended till the nerves of your teeth. Your dentist may have to prepare your tooth before applying a fresh filling. If not treated, you may require a root canal very soon.
How to prevent a filling from coming loose?
Know that dental fillings are not permanent. They last between 2 and 10 years. But you can enhance the structural integrity and durability of your filling by taking a few precautions:
- See a recognized and skilled dentist who will apply your filling that will last long.
- Don’t bite down and chew on hard stuff that could spoil your filling
- Implement healthy oral regimen
- See your dentist regularly to check the health of your fillings
- Opt for a dental onlay or a crown which is far more durable procedure of tooth restorations
Get the Help you need!
Let your trusted dentist recommend the best treatment plan for you! Now, if you’re looking for a ‘Dentist near me’ in Winchester, VA then surely reach us at Smiles of Virginia to receive tooth fillings. Your Dentist in Winchester will definitely help you restore your natural smile!