Taking care of your oral health is very important as the improper state of your gums and teeth can have a direct impact on your body. The growth of bacteria in the human mouth has been often linked to dementia, heart disease, diabetes, problems in pregnancy, stroke and dementia. But as you might have figured out from the title, in this blog we are going to discuss how oral health is connected to stroke. Therefore, if you have any confusion related to this topic, do give the sections below a thorough read.
What is a stroke?
Before talking about the topic in detail, you should at least have a basic understanding of what stroke is. It can be defined as a situation that is caused due to a blood vessel in your brain getting burst or a blood clot stopping the free flow of blood to your brain. You need to know that there are certain symptoms of a person experiencing a stroke. They are :
- Slurring while talking
- Weakness felt during arm movement
- Drooping face
Stokes can happen to people belonging to almost all age groups. But, the probability is more in the case of people who are aged or the ones who make really bad lifestyle choices.
The connection between Oral Health and Stroke
Stroke can occur due to gum diseases. The primary reason behind this is the inflammation that is caused due to gum problems. You need to know that the bacteria responsible for gum diseases can be the reason for mouth infection. This bacterial infection can get into your bloodstream and ultimately make your blood clot. You have read before that blood clotting can be a pivotal factor causing a stroke.
How to prevent this problem?
Now that you have gained a clear understanding of the link between gum disease and stroke, let us talk about the tips to prevent the problem. The first thing is to be very careful to notice the first symptoms of gum diseases. They are:
- Swollen gums
- Reddishness in gums
- Tenderness in gums
- Bleeding spotted while flossing or brushing
- Persistent bad breath
- Formation of pus between gums and teeth
If you face any of these problems, there is nothing to worry about. Adopting a few precautions can help you prevent or even resolve such issues with ease. These tips have been provided in the pointers below:
- It is advisable to brush your teeth at least twice a day. Doing so will help get rid of the food particles stuck in between your teeth and in turn, eliminate the chances of facing gum problems.
- Make sure to floss regularly. Flossing helps to clean the areas where your toothbrush cannot reach. Do it at least once a day before brushing your teeth.
- Use an antibacterial mouthwash to fight against the infection-causing bacteria.
- You should definitely consult your dentist in case of any serious gum problems. Always remember that getting your oral health checked daily will increase the chances of any dental problem getting diagnosed at an early stage. Try to book an appointment at a dental clinic that accepts your dental insurance (if you have any).
We hope that going through the blog has been of effective health. In case of any further confusions related to the topic do not hesitate to entrust the best to your dental health. Smiles of Virginia Family Dental Center has a team of dedicated dentists and other professionals who work day and night to meet the requirements of the patients. We are waiting to serve you. Thank you.