- VENEERS IN BRIEF
- 1. SHOULD I CHOOSE PORCELAIN VENEERS OR THE COMPOSITE BONDING ONES?
- 2. WHAT ARE THE PROS OF DENTAL VENEERS?
- 3. HOW LONG DO DENTAL VENEERS LAST?
- 4. WHY DO VENEERS NEED TO BE REPLACED?
- 5. WHAT QUERIES NEED TO BE ANSWERED BY MY PROSTHODONTIST BEFORE GETTING VENEERS?
- 6. DOES THE PROCESS HURT?
- 7. WILL I NEED GUM CONTOURING?
- 8. ANYTHING ELSE THAT I NEED TO DO APART FROM DAILY ORAL CARE?
- 9. WHAT ARE LUMINEERS?
- 10. SHOULD I CHOOSE LUMINEERS OR PORCELAIN VENEERS?
VENEERS IN BRIEF
Veneers are wafer-like thin dental restorations, usually made of porcelain, which is attached to the front portion of your tooth to give it a fresh and natural look. In order to place veneers, only a thin portion of the tooth enamel is removed and this wafer-thin material is then attached to the site.
Today, with the increasing popularity of Veneers, individuals are keen to know all about veneers, especially about their functionality, longevity and effectiveness. According to dental experts, some of the most common questions concerning veneers that surface are:
1. SHOULD I CHOOSE PORCELAIN VENEERS OR THE COMPOSITE BONDING ONES?
Porcelain veneers should be preferred to composite bonding ones especially when the required changes are not minor and the teeth are widely spaced, broken, dark, and even if the patient clenches or grinds his or her teeth!
2. WHAT ARE THE PROS OF DENTAL VENEERS?
The most important aspect of porcelain veneers is that they are stain resistant and they mimic the light reflecting properties of the tooth enamel more efficiently than composite resin does.
3. HOW LONG DO DENTAL VENEERS LAST?
A veneer more or less lasts approximately for 5-10 years and they don’t require any special care other than regular brushing, flossing, and visits to the dentist. If they are taken proper care of then they can last much longer, even more than a decade.
4. WHY DO VENEERS NEED TO BE REPLACED?
If you are suffering from oral ailments like periodontitis, you might suffer from gum recession that occurs the root of the tooth to become exposed. In such cases, individuals need to go for new veneers.
5. WHAT QUERIES NEED TO BE ANSWERED BY MY PROSTHODONTIST BEFORE GETTING VENEERS?
Ask your dentist to:
- show the other cases of veneers that have been done earlier, especially the ones that match with your case.
- How many patients have been treated similarly in the past?
- Show a preview of your veneers if possible before getting them done finally
- If they have a lab of their own or whether they specialize in the field of cosmetic dentistry!
6. DOES THE PROCESS HURT?
Veneers are applied by numbing the area. Therefore, normally there is no amount of pain associated with the process, especially if the number of teeth undergoing the restoration process are few.
7. WILL I NEED GUM CONTOURING?
Contouring creates symmetry and also lengthens teeth that are short in height. For individuals getting veneers, contouring the gums will give only a better cosmetic outcome.
8. ANYTHING ELSE THAT I NEED TO DO APART FROM DAILY ORAL CARE?
You need to stop all the ill habits immediately, like nail biting, teeth grinding, opening bags with teeth, pulling on your gloves with your teeth, and everything else that puts undue stress on the veneers.
9. WHAT ARE LUMINEERS?
Lumineers are a commercial brand for porcelain veneers. These veneers can be fitted to your existing teeth without preparation. Consequential your teeth do not require any grinding. Therefore Lumineers are considered as a quick alternative to veneers.
10. SHOULD I CHOOSE LUMINEERS OR PORCELAIN VENEERS?
If the condition of your teeth permits, Lumineers can be opted for. But before all this, you need to consult your prosthodontist to apply that in your case!
You could have more common questions about dental veneers when you are contemplating this type of teeth restoration treatment. Talk to your dentist in Simeal of Virginia to have all your queries sorted before you start with your treatment!
Learn more about veneers on our dental veneers page