Everyone wants to have a perfect and attractive smile. But, most people fail to realize that a lot goes behind having a shiny Hollywood smile. One such key factor in maintaining a proper oral hygiene routine. Dental care should begin at a very early age and continue till the last day of your life. Busy schedules and strict deadlines have made it almost impossible for people these days to invest both time and effort in oral care. Ignoring gums and teeth for a considerable span of time can be a reason for a nightmare in the future. Are you one such person who doesn’t go for regular dental checkups or does not brush at least twice a day? If yes then now is the time to act.
The answer to the question mentioned in the title of this blog is “YES”. Oral hygiene can be the key to a perfect smile. Keeping this in mind, the best Winchester dentists have come up with effective tips to maintain proper oral hygiene.
Tips to Maintain Your Oral Hygiene
Dental problems can easily be prevented by adopting a few preventive measures. We have provided the effective tips to maintain oral hygiene in the pointers below:
- Brush regularly – You should not go to sleep before brushing your teeth. Brushing helps to get rid of the food particles stuck on the teeth and gums. Ignoring this step leads to the deposition of the remnant food particles and ultimately causes plaque buildup. Now, the plaque is basically a film-like substance that consists of harmful bacteria. It can harden into tartar with time. Brushing reduces the chances of plaque formation and as result helps to prevent dental problems i.e teeth decay, gum disease, etc. You should know the correct way to brush for great results. Firstly, buy a toothbrush that has soft bristles. Using hard bristles to brush your teeth can do serious damage to the enamel layer of your teeth and initiate tooth decay. Also, be very gentle while moving the toothbrush along your gum line and teeth. In case you suffer from the problem of tooth sensitivity, do get a toothpaste that is specifically made for sensitive teeth. Dentists advise brushing at least twice a day. Maintain a time gap of 30 minutes to 1 hour between having a meal and brushing.
- Do floss daily – You should never skip flossing. A piece of floss is a thread that can clean the areas in between your teeth and gums that cannot be reached by the toothbrush. So, flossing can be an effective way to get rid of plaque as well. You should floss regularly and make sure to do it before brushing your teeth.
- Use a mouthwash – Rinsing your mouth with an antibacterial mouthwash can be an effective way of fighting against bacteria. There are different types of mouthwashes available in today’s time. You should buy the one that suits your oral requirements. If you get confused about which mouthwash to get, consult your dentist.
- You should eat healthily – You should avoid sugary and sticky food items in order to have healthy teeth. Are you wondering why? Well, the human mouth consists of harmful bacteria that thrive in the presence of sugar particles causing dental problems. On the other hand, try to include more fruits and vegetables in your daily diet.
- Drink water – Drinking an adequate amount of water is necessary to maintain a proper oral hygiene routine. Less intake of water causes dehydration which affects the production of saliva in your mouth. The primary functions of saliva are to wash away the food particles stuck to your gums and teeth and also fight against the bacteria. So, less saliva creates an ideal environment for the growth of bacteria in your mouth.
We hope that going through this blog gave you a better understanding of how to maintain your oral hygiene. Lastly, do visit your dentist for routine dental care, Contact Smiles of Virginia if you are looking for the best dental routine care in Winchester, VA. Our dentists and other dental professionals put in every effort to take proper care of your oral health. Schedule your visit today by giving us a call at (540) 450-2100.