Visiting a dentist regularly is a must if you want to have a perfect smile. But, a major percentage of people put their oral health in jeopardy by skipping dental appointments. Studies say that almost 3-16% of the American population suffer from the fear of visiting a dental office. This can be bad for your oral health and ultimately cause serious dental problems in the days to come. Dental anxiety is considered to be a prominent reason for such an issue. Here at Smiles of Virginia, we have always tried to educate people about the ways of encountering challenges regarding oral health along with providing quality dental treatment. Keeping this in mind, the best dentists in Winchester have come up with a blog that will discuss effective tips to combat dental anxiety.
Dental anxiety or dental phobia can be caused due to numerous reasons. You can go through the probable causes in the pointers below:
- The fear of pushing the boundaries of your comfort zone
- The fear of going through pain and discomfort
- The inhibition about getting judged on the basis of your oral hygiene routine
- If you have a bad previous experience of visiting a dental office
- If you have heard about the terrible experience of visiting a dental office from an acquaintance or a friend
- If you have gone through physical or mental abuse at a young age
In case you have dental anxiety as a well, it is recommended to get the problem addressed as early as possible. Ignoring dental anxiety or dental phobia for a long time can have a negative impact on your overall mental health.
How to Deal with Dental Anxiety?
No matter how difficult the situation is, it can be handled by adopting a few measures or hacks. We have provided the 5 tips to get rid of dental anxiety for your benefit.
- Do not hesitate to talk – Not holding your thoughts just to yourself can be an effective way of combating dental anxiety. You can choose to talk to a friend or your dentist. Having an in-person discussion with another person will help you to get a different perspective about the entire situation.
- Look for a dentist who listens to you – You are advised to look for a dentist who will provide you with the scope to talk. Ask questions about the dental treatment and also do not hesitate to express your opinions. There are several dentists who are very well-behaved and polite, you just need to find one nearby. Contact Smiles of Virginia if you are looking for friendly and the best dentists in Winchester.
- Conduct thorough research – Make sure to research a bit online before booking your appointment. You should select a dental office that entertains dental phobics. Ask for recommendations from friends and family.
- Listen to music – People often feel uncomfortable while listening to the sounds that are common at a dental office i.e the noise of drilling. You can avoid hearing these noises by listening to your favorite soundtracks while waiting for the appointment.
- Do not reach very early – You should never reach the dental office with a lot of time in hand. The more you wait for the appointment, the higher is the chance of you feeling anxious.
We hope that you now know the ways to combat dental anxiety. Incorporate these tips in your daily life and notice the difference they create.
Negative Outcomes of Dental Anxiety
Suffering from dental anxiety can be the reason for numerous other dental problems. They are:
- Facing the issue of bad breath or halitosis
- Having dental cavities or tooth decay
- Suffering from gum problem or periodontal disease
- Stains on the teeth or tooth discoloration
- Formation of plaque on your teeth and gum line that later hardens into tartar
- Bacterial infection in teeth and gums
- Having a persistent bad taste in the mouth
In case you have any further queries related to dental anxiety and its outcomes, schedule your visit at our dental office. We are the favorite dental office in the Winchester neighborhood for a reason. Our team of dentists and other professionals guides the patients towards the correct path and offers a friendly environment. So why wait anymore? Give us a call today!